We make the results of our research and advisory work on climate change available through our own Working Paper Series, through reports published by our projects, collaborators and clients, and through academic publications (journal papers and book chapters).
NRI's Working Paper Series on Climate Change, Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Working Paper No.1 (2010) Climate Change, Agricultural Adaptation and Fairtrade: Identifying the Challenges and Opportunities, by Valerie Nelson, John Morton, Tim Chancellor, Peter Burt and Barry Pound
- Working Paper No.2 (2011) Gender and 'Modern' Biofuels: A Guidance Paper for Policy-Makers, by Valerie Nelson and Yianna Lambrou
- Working Paper No. 3 (2011) Scoping the Gender Issues in Liquid Biofuel Value Chains, by Valerie Nelson and Yianna Lambrou
- Working Paper No. 4 (2012) Coffee and Climate Change: Impacts and options for adaption in Brazil, Guatemala, Tanzania and Vietnam, by Jeremy Haggar and Kathleen Schepp
- Working Paper No. 5 (2013) Supporting Ecosystem Services in Fairtrade Value Chains
Other Major Reports
- Nelson, V., R. Lamboll, and M. Joshua (2020) Farmer Field Schools to Strengthen Community Resilience to Climate Change: Learning Brief. NRI, University of Greenwich and University of Malawi report commissioned by the EC Global Climate Change Programme.
- Nelson, V., R. Lamboll, and M. Joshua (2019) Annual Review of Global Climate Change Alliance (GCCA) – Malawi activities: ‘Strengthening Community Resilience to Climate Change in Blantyre, Zomba, Neno and Phalombe Districts', DCI-ENV/2014/354-363. Main Evaluative Learning Report, NRI, University of Greenwich and Chancellor College. Chatham; UK.
- Organisational Strategies and Structures for Climate Change Research in sub-Saharan Africa
- Gender and Drylands Development: Empowering Women for Change
Reports from the project Climate Learning for African Agriculture led by NRI, FARA and AFAAS.
- Final Report: Climate Agriculture and Knowledge in Africa: Agricultural Research and Advisory Services in the Face of Climate Change
- Working Paper No.1 - Exploring the links between Climate Change, Agriculture & Development: A Briefing Paper
- Working Paper No.2 - Exploring the linkages and guiding concepts relevant to Climate Change, Agriculture and Development: A Detailed Resource Document
- Working Paper No.3 - Innovation Systems for Agriculture and Climate in Benin: an Inventory
- Working Paper No.4 - African Agricultural Research and Advisory Services under Climate Change: Perspectives from an E-Discussion
- Working Paper No.5 - Innovation Systems for Agriculture and Climate: Analysis of Three Case-Studies from Benin
- Working Paper No.6 - Climate Learning for African Agriculture: The Case of Mozambique
- Working Paper No.7 - Climate Learning and Knowledge Management within Uganda’s Agricultural Research and Advisory Services
NRI staff have also written, or collaborated on, a number of important reports and papers published by outside organisations. We highlight a number of these, all of which are freely available for download:
- Exploring Urban Rural Interdependence and the Impact of Climate Change in Tanzania and Malawi by E. Liwenga, E. Swai, L. Nsemwa, A. Katunzi, B. Gwambene, M. Joshua, F. Chipungu, T. Stathers and R. Lamboll for IRDC
- Emerging Approaches for Responding to Climate Change in African Agricultural Advisory Services: Challenges, Opportunities and Recommendations for an AFAAS Climate Change Response Strategy by Richard Lamboll, Valerie Nelson and Nick Nathaniels, for the African Forum for Agricultural Advisory Services (2011)
- Technologies for Climate Change Adaptation – Agriculture Sector by R. Clements, J. Haggar, A. Quezada and J. Torres, ed. X. Zhu, for the UNEP Risø Centre (2011)
- Climate Change, Gender and Smallholder Agriculture by Valerie Nelson. Report commissioned by CIAT-Africa and the Pan African Bean Research Networks. CIAT Working Paper (2011)
- Gender, Generations, Climate Change and Social Protection: Thematic Review and Annotated Bibliography by Valerie Nelson, ODI Working Paper(2011)
- Responding to Climate Change in Viet Nam: Opportunities for Improving Gender Equality: A Policy Discussion Paper by Koos Neefjes, Valerie Nelson and others, Oxfam/UNDP-Viet Nam Report (2009) - Migration, Resettlement and Climate Change in Viet Nam
- Climate Change and Land Tenure: The Implications of Climate Change for Land Tenure and Land Policy by Julian Quan with Nat Dyer, FAO Land Tenure Working Paper (2008)
Journal Papers and Book Chapters
- Ayanlade, A., Radeny, M., Morton, J. F., & Muchaba, T. (2018). Rainfall variability and drought characteristics in two agro-climatic zones: An assessment of climate change challenges in Africa. Science of the Total Environment 630, 728-737.
- Derkyi, M., Adiku, S. G., Nelson, V., Dovie, B. D., Codjoe, S., & Awuah, E. (2018). Smallholder farmers’ perception of climatic and socio-economic factors influencing livelihoods in the transition zone of Ghana. AAS Open Research, 1.
- Opare, P., Akintonde, J. O., Obeng-Ofori, D., & Nelson, V. (2018). Using climate analogue tools to explore and build smallholder farmer capacity for climate smart agriculture. AAS Open Research, 1.
- Ademola A., Ford, J., Morton, J. et al. (2017) Managing Climate Change Risks in Africa - A Global Perspective. Ecological Economics Vol. 141 pp. 190-201.
- Antwi-Agyei, P., Quinn, C., Adiku, S., Codjoe, S., Dougill, A., Lamboll, R. and Dovie, D. (2017) Perceived stressors of climate vulnerability across scales in the Savannah zone of Ghana: A participatory approach. Regional Environmental Change 17(1), 213-227.
- Ayanlade, A., Radeny, M. and Morton, J. (2017) Comparing smallholder farmers’ perception of climate change with meteorological data; a case study from Southwestern Nigeria. Weather and Climate Extremes 15: 24-33.
- Belay, A., Recha, J., Woldeamanuel, T. and Morton, J. (2017) Smallholder farmers' adaptation to climate change and determinants of their adaptation decisions in the Central Rift Valley of Ethiopia. Agriculture & Food Security 6 (24)
- Mungai, C., Opondo, M., Outa, G., Nelson, V., Nyasimi, M., & Kimeli, P. (2017). Uptake of climate-smart agriculture through a gendered intersectionality lens: experiences from Western Kenya. In W. Leal Filho et al. (eds.) Climate Change Adaptation in Africa, Springer International Publishing, pp.587-601.
- Ifeanyi-Obi, C. C., Togun, A. O., Lamboll, R., Adesope, O. M., & Arokoyu, S. B. (2017). Challenges faced by cocoyam farmers in adapting to climate change in Southeast Nigeria. Climate Risk Management 17, 155-164.
- Ifeanyi-Obi, C. C., Togun, A. O., Lamboll, R., & Arokoyu, S. (2017). Socio-Economic Determinants of Cocoyam Farmer’s Strategies for Climate Change Adaptation in Southeast Nigeria. Journal of Agricultural Extension 21(2), 91-104.
- Kassian, L., Tenywa, M., Liwenga, E., Wellard-Dyer, K., and Bamutaze, Y. (2016) Implication of climate change and variability on stream flow in Iringa region, Tanzania. Journal of Water and Climate Change 8(2): 336-347.
- Lamboll, R., Stathers, T., & Morton, J. (2017). Climate change and agricultural systems. In S. Snapp and B. Pound (eds.) Agricultural Systems (Second Edition), Academic Press, pp.441-490.
- Morton, J. (2017). Climate change and African agriculture: unlocking the potential of research and advisory services. In F. Nunan (ed.) Making Climate Compatible Development Happen, Routledge, pp.109-135.
- Quan, J., Naess, L.O., Newsham, A., Sitoe, A. and Fernandez, M.C. (2017) The political economy of REDD+ in Mozambique: implications for climate compatible development. In F. Nunan (ed.) Making Climate-Compatible Development Happen. Routledge, pp.151-181.
- Elum, Z.A., Modise, D.M. & Marr, A. (2016). Farmer’s perception of climate change and responsive strategies in three selected provinces of South Africa. Climate Risk Management 16: 246-257.
- Ifeanyi-Obi, C. C., Togun, A. O., and Lamboll, R. (2016). Influence of Climate Change on Cocoyam Production in Aba Agricultural Zone of Abia State, Nigeria. In W. Leal Filho et al. (eds). Innovation in Climate Change Adaptation, Springer International Publishing, pp. 261-273.
- Joshua, M.K., Ngongondo, C., Chipungu, F., Monjerezi, M., Liwenga, E., Majule, A., Stathers, T. and Lamboll, R. (2016) Climate change in semi-arid Malawi: Perceptions, adaptation strategies and water governance. Jàmbá: Journal of Disaster Risk Studies 8(3).
- López-i-Gelats, F., Fraser, E., Morton, J. and Rivera-Ferre, M. (2016) What drives pastoralists' vulnerability to global environmental change? Pathways of vulnerability. Global Environmental Change 39: 258-274.
- Rivera-Ferre, M., López-i-Gelats, F., Howden, M., Smith, P., Morton, J., Herrero, M. (2016) Re-framing the climate change debate in the livestock sector: mitigation and adaptation options. WIRes Climate Change 7(6), 869-892.
- Joshua, M., Ngongondo, C., Mwathunga, E., Liwenga, E., Stathers, T., Chipungu, F., Lamboll, R., Majule, A. and Ndau, S. (2015) Implications of climate change risks on rural-urban agricultural and food flows in Blantyre City, Malawi. Journal of Public Administration 50(1):125-142.
- Morton, J. (2015) Agricultural adaptations: social context and complexity. In J. Palutikof, S. Boulter, J. Barnett, J. and D. Rissik, (eds.) Applied Studies in Climate Adaptation: Australian Experiences. Wiley, Oxford.
- Dasgupta, P., Morton, J., Dodman, D., Karapinar, B., Meza, F., Rivera-Ferre, M., Toure Sarr, A. and Vincent, K. (2014) Rural Areas. In C. Field, V. Barros et al. (eds.) Climate Change 2014: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability. Part A: Global and Sectoral Aspects. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. CUP, Cambridge and New York.
- Baca, M., Läderach, P., Haggar, J., Schroth, G., & Ovalle, O. (2014). An integrated framework for assessing vulnerability to climate change and developing adaptation strategies for coffee growing families in Mesoamerica. PLoS One, 9(2), e88463.
- Morton, J., Solecki, W., Dasgupta, P., Dodman, D., Rivera-Ferre, M (2014) Urban-Rural Interactions – Context for Climate Change Vulnerability, Impacts, and Adaptation. Cross-Chapter Box in C. Field, V. Barros et al. (eds.) Climate Change 2014: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability. Part A: Global and Sectoral Aspects. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. CUP, Cambridge and New York.