Professor Andrew Westby
+44 (0)1634 88 3478
Professor Andrew Westby completed his BSc at the University of Leeds in 1984 and then his PhD in Food Technology at the University of Reading where he researched the use of lactic acid bacteria in food preservation.
When he joined NRI in 1987, Andrew worked as a research scientist in food safety and quality management. His interest in tropical root and tuber crops starting in 1989 with his contributions to the Collaborative Study of Cassava in Africa. Since that time, he has focussed his research efforts on developing post-harvest and marketing systems for tropical root and tuber crops, including cassava, sweet potato and yam. This included development of the Global Cassava Development Strategy in the late 1990s. Andrew managed DFID’s post-harvest portfolio on tropical root crops in the 1990s. He has promoted to Professor in 1998.
Andrew led the post-harvest and marketing component of the HarvestPlus led initiative between 2006 and 2010 on reaching end-users with orange-fleshed sweet potato as a source of provitamin A. Between 2008 and 2019 Andrew has led the Cassava Adding Value for Africa project in collaboration with partners in Nigeria, Ghana, Uganda, Tanzania and Malawi which has mobilised cassava roots from small-holder farmers into new market opportunities.
Andrew has been the Director of NRI since May 2010, prior to this he was Director of Research and Enterprise from 2001 to 2010. He led NRI’s Agriculture, Food and Veterinary Science submission to the Research Assessment Exercise in 2008.
As a principal investigator and researcher, Andrew has travelled extensively across the world working on collaborative projects with counterparts in Kenya, Uganda, Pakistan, Peru, India, Rwanda, Mozambique, Austria, France, United States of America, South Africa, Sweden, Spain, Italy, Benin, Ghana, Nigeria, Colombia, Cameroon, Brazil, Belgium, South Korea, The Netherlands, Ireland, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Papua New Guinea, Trinidad and Tobago, Indonesia, Cote D'Ivoire, South Africa, Thailand and China. Andrew has led many large multi-national and multi-disciplinary research projects with funding won from a wide range of donors including the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, UK Department for International Development, the European Commission RTD Framework and EuropeAid EDF programmes, Food Standards Agency and the Common Fund for Commodities. Andrew’s work on has resulted in a number of publications that can be found on his Google Scholar Profile: https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=sjaxGgwAAAAJ&hl=en
- 2010 to Present, Director, Natural Resources Institute, University of Greenwich.
- 2015 to 2018. Deputy Pro-Vice Chancellor (Research and Enterprise)
- 2001 to 2010 Director of Research and Enterprise, Natural Resources Institute
- 1998 to 2001- Research Manager, Food Systems Department, Research Leader Post-Harvest Horticulture Group, Food Security Department and Specialist Adviser: DFID Crop Post-Harvest Programme
- 1996 to 1998 Head, Post-Harvest Horticulture Group, Food Security Department and Production System Leader: Crop Post-Harvest Programme
- 1995 to 1996. Head, Root and Tuber Crops Group, Food Security Department and Production System Leader: Crop Post-Harvest Programme
- 1995 Head, Post-Harvest Horticulture Group.
- 1993 to 1995 Manager of Root and Tuber Crops Projects, including management of DFID Post-Harvest Root Crops Portfolio.
- 1987 to 1993 Research Scientist, Food Safety Group
Andrew has more than 30 years post-doctoral experience of the design, implementation and management of international research, development and capacity building projects. Internationally recognised expert on post-harvest issues, specifically of tropical root and tuber crops. Food systems approach to improving food security and nutrition and commodity value chain development. Specific expertise in post-harvest technology, microbiology, food safety, quality management and nutritional aspects of food processing, handling, processing and marketing of a wide range of commodities.
- Bechoff, Aurélie, Chijioke, Ugo, Westby, Andrew and Tomlins, Keith Ian (2018) ‘Yellow is good for you’: Consumer perception and acceptability of fortified and biofortified cassava products. PLoS ONE, 13 (9):e0203421. pp. 1-22. ISSN 1932-6203 (Online) (doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0203421)
- Bechoff, Aurélie, Tomlins, Keith Ian, Chijioke, Ugo, Ilona, Paul, Westby, Andrew and Boy, Erick (2018) Physical losses could partially explain modest carotenoid retention in dried food products from biofortified cassava. PLoS ONE:e0194402. ISSN 1932-6203 (Online) (doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0194402)
- Lamboll, Richard, Martin, Adrienne, Sanni, Lateef, Adebayo, Kolawole, Graffham, Andrew, Kleih, Ulrich, Abayomi, Louise and Westby, Andrew (2018) Shaping, adapting and reserving the right to play: Responding to uncertainty in high quality cassava flour value chains in Nigeria. Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies, 8 (1). pp. 54-76. ISSN 2044-0839 (doi:10.1108/JADEE-03-2017-0036)
- Long, Yang, Guan-dong, Zhang, Yan-chao, Song, Westby, Andrew, Kai-mian, Li and Song-bi, Chen (2017) Nutrient and feed value analysis in leaves of cassava wild species and cultivars. Journal of Southern Agriculture, 48 (2). pp. 238-245. ISSN 2095-1191 (doi:10.3969/j:issn.2095-1191.2017.02.238)
- Bechoff, Aurélie, Tomlins, Keith, Fliedel, Geneviève, Lopez-Lavalle, Luis Augusto Becerra, Westby, Andrew, Hershey, Clair and Dufour, Dominique (2016) Cassava traits and end-user preference: relating traits to consumer liking, sensory perception, and genetics.Critical reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 58 (4). pp. 547-567. ISSN 1040-8398 (Print), 1549-7852 (Online) (doi:10.1080/10408398.2016.1202888)
- Bechoff, Aurelie, Chijioke, Ugo, Tomlins, Keith I., Govinden, Pesila, Ilona, Paul, Westby, Andrew and Boy, Erick (2015) Carotenoid stability during storage of yellow gari made from biofortified cassava or with palm oil. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 44. pp. 36-44. ISSN 0889-1575 (doi:10.1016/j.jfca.2015.06.002)
- Lamboll, Richard, Nelson, Valerie, Posthumus, Helena, Martin, Adrienne , Adebayo, Kolawole, Alacho, Francis, Dziedzoave, Nanam, Mahende, Grace, Sandifolo, Vito, Sanni, Lateef, Abayomi, Louise, Graffham, Andrew, Hillocks, Rory and Westby, Andrew(2015) Practical lessons on scaling up smallholder-inclusive and sustainable cassava value chains in Africa. Food Chain, 5 (1-2). pp. 28-52. ISSN 2046-1879 (Print), 2046-1887 (Online) (doi:10.3362/2046-1887.2015.004)
- Ingram, John S.I., Wright, Hugh L., Foster, Lucy, Aldred, Tim, Barling, David, Benton, Tim G., Berryman, Paul M., Bestwick, Charles S., Bows-Larkin, Alice, Brocklehurst, Tim F., Buttriss, Judith, Casey, John, Collins, Hannah, Crossley, Daniel S., Dolan, Catherine S., Dowler, Elizabeth, Edwards, Robert, Finney, Karen J., Fitzpatrick, Julie L., Fowler, Mark, Garrett, David A., Godfrey, Jim E., Godley, Andrew, Griffiths, William, Houlston, Eleanor J., Kaiser, Michel J., Kennard, Robert, Knox, Jerry W., Kuyk, Andrew, Linter, Bruce R., Macdiarmid, Jennie I., Martindale, Wayne, Mathers, John C., McGonigle, Daniel F., Mead, Angela, Millar, Samuel J., Miller, Anne, Murray, Calum, Norton, Ian T., Parry, Stephen, Pollicino, Marilena, Quested, Thomas E., Tassou, Savvas, Terry, Leon A., Tiffin, Richard, van de Graaf, Pieter, Vorley, William, Westby, Andrew and Sutherland, William J. (2013) Priority research questions for the UK food system. Food Security, 5 (5). pp. 617-636. ISSN 1876-4517 (Print), 1876-4525 (Online) (doi:10.1007/s12571-013-0294-4)
- Cheema, M.U.A., Rees, D. , Colgan, R.J., Taylor, M. and Westby, A. (2013) The effects of ethylene, 1-MCP and AVG on sprouting in sweetpotato roots. Postharvest Biology and Technology, 85. pp. 89-93. ISSN 0925-5214 (doi:10.1016/j.postharvbio.2013.05.001)
- Abdulsalam-Saghir, P., Sanni, L., Siwoku, B., Adebayo, K., Martin, A. M. and Westby, A. (2012) Cassava: adding value for Africa - Strategic market initiatives that support wealth creation for women along the Cassava Value Chains in Southwest, Nigeria. Journal of Agricultural Science and Environment, 12 (2). pp. 70-82. ISSN 2277-2755 (Print), 2315-7453 (Online)
- Bechoff, Aurélie, Poulaert, Marie, Tomlins, Keith I., Westby, Andrew, Menya, Geoffrey, Young, Stephen and Dhuique-Mayer, Claudie(2011) Retention and bioaccessibility of β-carotene in blended foods containing orange-fleshed sweet potato flour. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 59 (18). pp. 10373-10380. ISSN 0021-8561 (Print), 1520-5118 (Online) (doi:10.1021/jf201205y)
- Tomlins, Keith, Owori, Constance, Bechoff, Aurelie, Menya, Geoffrey and Westby, Andrew (2011) Relationship among the carotenoid content, dry matter content and sensory attributes of sweet potato. Food Chemistry, 131 (1). pp. 14-21. ISSN 0308-8146 (doi:10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.07.072)
- Bechoff, Aurélie, Westby, Andrew, Menya, Geoffrey and Tomlins, Keith I. (2011) Effect of pretreatments for retaining total carotenoids in dried and stored orange-fleshed-sweet potato chips. Journal of Food Quality, 34 (4). pp. 259-267. ISSN 1745-4557 (online) (doi:10.1111/j.1745-4557.2011.00391.x)
- Bechoff, Aurelie, Tomlins, Keith, Dhuique-Mayer, Claudie, Dove, Richard and Westby, Andrew (2010) On-farm evaluation of the impact of drying and storage on the carotenoid content of orange-fleshed sweet potato (Ipomea batata Lam.). International Journal of Food Science & Technology, 46 (1). pp. 52-60. ISSN 0950-5423 (Print), 1365-2621 (Online) (doi:10.1111/j.1365-2621.2010.02450.x)
- Bechoff, Aurélie, Dhuique-Mayer, Claudie, Dornier, Manuel, Tomlins, Keith I., Boulanger, Renaud, Dufour, Dominique and Westby, Andrew (2010) Relationship between the kinetics of β-carotene degradation and formation of norisoprenoids in the storage of dried sweet potato chips. Food Chemistry, 121 (2). pp. 348-357. ISSN 0308-8146 (doi:10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.12.035)
- Adebayo, K., Abayomi, L., Abass, A., Dziedzoave, N.T., Forsythe, L. , Hillocks, R.J., Gensi, R., Gibson, R.W., Graffham, A.J., Ilona, P., Kleih, U.K., Lamboll, R.I., Mahende, G., Martin, A.M. , Onumah, G.E., Orr, A.W., Posthumus, H., Sanni, L.O., Sandifolo, V. and Westby, A. (2010) Sustainable inclusion of smallholders in the emerging high quality cassava flour value chains in Africa: challenges for agricultural extension services. Journal of Agricultural Extension, 14 (1). pp. 1-10. ISSN 1119-944X
Director of Research and Enterprise (2013 – Present) Member of Academic Council (2010 – Present) Vice Chair University Research and Enterprise Committee Chair of Faculty of Engineering and Science Research and Enterprise Committee Director Greenwich University Enterprises Director Carbon8Systems Limited (2018-Present)
- 2018 GRE Research Excellence Award for Cassava Research Team
- 2018 UK’s Best Breakthroughs List – Universities UK
- 2016 Cassava programme awarded Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Further and Higher Education.
- 2015 Leader of CAVA project awarded Guardian Award for Research Impact.
- 2014 Leader of CAVA project awarded Times Higher Award for International Collaboration of the Year.
- 2011 Times Higher Leadership and Management Award for Best Departmental Administration Team of the Year.
- 2011-2014 President of Agrinatura EEIG
- President of the International Society for Tropical Root Crops. (2003-2012) (formerly Council Member with responsibility for publications 2000-2003); Member of Council as past President (2012-2018).
- Member of Steering Group of Sweetpotato for Profit and Health Initiative (2014-Present).
- Member of the Steering Committee of Vitamin A for Africa (2004-2010).
- Editorial board, Journal of Sustainable Development, Nigeria.
- Member of the International Society of Tropical Root Crops - Africa Branch (1998-present).
- Life Member, Indian Society of Tropical Root Crops.