Dr Yixing Sui
Dr. Yixing Sui joined the University of Greenwich in October 2019 as a Research Fellow after completing his PhD in Bioscience Engineering at the University of Antwerp (Belgium) where he studied the production of nutritional protein with Dunaliella microalgae.
Dr. Yixing Sui obtained his MSc in Environmental Sciences from Wageningen University in 2013 (the Netherlands) and BEng in Environmental Engineering from Tianjin Chengjian University in 2011 (China), with research activities covering aerobic and anaerobic wastewater treatment and resource recovery from black water (source separated toilet wastewater) using microalgae.
From 2013-2014, Dr. Yixing Sui has worked as a Research Assistance at the Netherland Institute of Ecology (NIOO-KNAW). During this time, he operated a pilot-scale upflow anaerobic sludge blanket (UASB) reactor and a microalgal photobioreactor for biological energy and nutrients recovery from black water.
Dr. Yixing Sui is interested in:
- Microbial biotechnology for natural bio-compounds production, and their industrial utilisation/application (e.g. food and pharmaceutical)
- Resource recovery from waste and waste products to contribute to environmental sustainability and a circular economy
- Sui, Yixing, Jiang, Yu, Moretti, Michele and Vlaeminck, Siegfried E. (2020) Harvesting time and biomass composition affect the economics of microalgae production. Journal of Cleaner Production, 259:120782. ISSN 0959-6526 (doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.120782)
- Sui, Yixing and Vlaeminck, Siegfried E. (2019) Dunaliella microalgae for nutritional protein: an undervalued asset. Trends in Biotechnology, 38 (1). pp. 10-12. ISSN 0167-7799 (Print), 1879-3096 (Online) (doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tibtech.2019.07.011)
- Sui, Yixing, Muys, Maarten, Van de Waal, Dedmer B., D'Adamo, Sarah, Vermeir, Pieter, Fernandes, Tânia V. and Vlaeminck, Siegfried E. (2019) Enhancement of co-production of nutritional protein and carotenoids in Dunaliella salina using a two-phase cultivation assisted by nitrogen level and light intensity. Bioresource Technology, 287:121398. ISSN 0960-8524 (doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2019.121398)
- Muys, Maarten, Sui, Yixing, Schwaiger, Barbara, Lesueur, Céline, Vandenheuvel, Dieter, Vermeir, Pieter and Vlaeminck, Siegfried E. (2018) High variability in nutritional value and safety of commercially available Chlorella and Spirulina biomass indicates the need for smart production strategies. Bioresource Technology, 275. pp. 247-257. ISSN 0960-8524 (doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2018.12.059)
- Sui, Yixing , Muys, Maarten, Vermeir, Pieter, D'Adamo, Sarah and Vlaeminck, Siegfried E. (2018) Light regime and growth phase affect the microalgal production of protein quantity and quality with Dunaliella salina. Bioresource Technology, 275. pp. 145-152. ISSN 0960-8524 (doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2018.12.046)
- Sui, Yixing and Vlaeminck, Siegfried E (2018) Effects of salinity, pH and growth phase on the protein productivity by Dunaliella salina. Journal of Chemical Technology & Biotechnology, 94 (4). pp. 1032-1040. ISSN 0268-2575 (Print), 1097-4660 (Online) (doi:https://doi.org/10.1002/jctb.5850)