Professor Lateef Sanni
+44 (0)1634 88 3199
Lateef Oladimeji SANNI graduated from the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB), Nigeria with Second Class Upper Division in the Department of Food Science and Technology in 1990. He obtained Master and PhD Degrees in the Department of Food Technology, University of Ibadan in 1993 and 1999. He joined FUNAAB in 1993 as Assistant Lecturer, became Professor of Food Science and Technology in 2008, presented his inaugural lecture in 2015 and became Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Development) in 2017. He won the 2008 Consultative Group of International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) Award Regional Technology Development in Sub Saharan Africa (http://www.cgiar.org/newsroom/scientific.html). He has over 27 years' experience in research, consultancy and collaborations as a postharvest expert on tropical root crops mostly implemented by the International Institute of Tropical Root Crop and Natural Resources Institute, UK. He is a project leader to multi-million dollar EU/Gates Foundation sponsored projects since 2008 till date. He served as resource person for World Bank upscaling of flash drying experience in West Africa. He was the Principal Investigator, Food Developers Initiative and Food Science and Nutrition Network sponsored by Association of African Universities. He is the Vice Chair Steering Committee of the African Women in Agricultural Research and Development, and former National President, Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology. He has mentored over 20 junior academics across three continents. He has trained well over 100 BSc, 30 MSc and 18 PhD graduates with well over 100 scientific publications in National and International Journals, Proceedings, reports, reviews, and books. He was a former Editorial Member, International Journal of Food Science and Technology and reviewer to many journals at National and international levels. He is the Chairman, Governing Council of Oyo State College of Agriculture and Technology, Igboora, Oyo State, Nigeria, Immediate Past President, International Society for Tropical Root Crops (African Branch) and President, International Society for Tropical Root Crops.
The field of his research is Food Science and Technology with a focus on the development of appropriate processing (mostly fermentation, drying, extrusion etc), storage and quality regimes for the upgrading of traditional local foods. I also have interest in product development, rheological modeling, drying kinetics, quality assessment, optimization, packaging, and storage stability of RTB foods.
- Owo, H.O., Adebowale, A.A., Sobukola, O.P., Obadina, O.A., Kajihausa, O.E., Adegunwa, M.O., Sanni, L.O. & Tomlins, K. (2017). Adsorption isotherms and thermodynamics properties of water yam flour. Quality Assurance and Safety of Crops & Foods, 9(2); 221-227.
- Adebowale, A.A., Kareem, S.T., Sobukola, O.P., Adebisi, M.A. Obadina, A.O., Kajihausa, O.E., Adegunwa, M.O., Sanni, L.O. & Keith, T. (2017). Mineral and antinutrient content of high quality cassava-tigernut composite flour extruded snack. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation, 49 (5): 1-9
- Coker, O.J., Sobukola, O.P., Sanni, L.O., Bakare, H.A., Kajihausa, O.E., Adebowale, A.A. & Keith T. (2017). Quality attributes of cassava-fish crackers enriched with different flours: An optimization study by a simplex centroid mixture design. Journal of Food Process Engineering, 41(5): 1-11.
- Kuye, A., D. B. Ayo, L. O. Sanni, A. O. Raji, E. I. Kwaya,O. O. Otuu, W.B. Asiru, B. Alenkhe, I. B. Abdulkareem, B. Bamkefa, G. Tarawali, A. G.O. Dixon, R.U.Okechukwu (2017). Design and fabrication of a flash dryer for the production of high quality cassava flour. Agricultural Mechanization in Asia, Africa, and Latin America, 48 (3): 63-70
- Oyedeji, A. B., Sobukola , O. P., Henshaw, .F. O., Adegunwa M. O., Sanni, L.O., Tomlins K. I. (2016). Kinetics of mass transfer during deep fat frying of yellow fleshed cassava root slices. Heat and Mass Transfer, 52(5):1061-1070
- Sanni, L. O. (2015). Drying for Wealth, Food Security and Nation Building. 49th Inaugural Lecture. Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria. 124pp. http://unaab.edu.ng/attachments/professor_sanni_inaugural.pdf
- Sekinat T. Kareem, Abdul-Rasaq A. Adebowale, Olajide P. Sobukola, Moruf A. Adebisi, Olusegun A. Obadina, Olatundun E. Kajihausa, Mojisola O. Adegunwa, Lateef O. Sanni & Tomlins Keith (2015). Some Quality Attributes of High Quality Cassava-Tigernut Composite Flour and Its Extruded Snacks, Journal of Culinary Science & Technology, 13:3, 242-262, DOI: 10.1080/15428052.2015.1015667
- Awoyale, W., Sanni, L. O., Shittu, T. A., Adegunwa, M. A. (2015). Effect of varieties on the functional and pasting properties of biofortified cassava root starches. Food Measure (2015) 9:225–232.
- Buliyaminu Adegbemiro Alimi, Taofik Akinyemi Shittu & Lateef Oladimeji Sanni (2014) Effect of Hydrocolloids and Egg Content on Sensory Quality of Coated Fried Yam Chips, Journal of Culinary Science & Technology, 12:2, 168-180.
- Adebowale A.A. and Lateef O. Sanni (2013). Effects of solid content and temperature on viscosity of tapioca meal. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 50(3):573–578.
- Kareem, S.T. Adebowale, A.A., Sobukola, O.P, Adebisi, M.A., Obadina, O.A., Kajihausa, O.E, Adegunwa, M.O., Sanni, L.O. and Keith, T (2014). Some Quality Attributes Of High Quality Cassava - Tigernut Composite Flour and Its Extruded Snacks. Journal of Culinary Science and Technology, 13: 79-93.
- President, International Society for tropical Root Crops (www.istrc.org). 24 October 2018.
- Chairman, Governing Board of Oyo State College of Agriculture and Technology, Igboora. 9 January 2018.
- President’s Distinguished Alumnus Award for Outstanding Achievements FUNAAB Alumni Association, Abeokuta, Nigeria. 13 January 2018.
- Award of Excellence by Policy Community Relations Committee (PCRC) Obantoko, Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria, 2 Dec 2017.
- Vice President (Anglophone), West African Association of Food Science and Technology. 23 October 2016 to date
- Vice Chairman, Steering Committee Member, African Women in Agricultural Research and Development. October 2016 to date
- President, International Society of Root Crops – African Branch (ISTRC-AB). http://istrc-ab.org/?page_id=24. 4 Oct 2013 – 23 Oct 2018
- Member, Scientific and Technical Committee of the West and Central African Council for Agricultural Research and Development (CORAF/WECARD) (http://www.coraf.org). 15 January 2013 -2016.
- National President, Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology (www.nifst.org). October 2012 –October 2014.
- Outstanding International Ambassador Award, Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria. 1 January 2012
- Consultant, Cassava Value Chain Development under the Agricultural Transformation Implementation Council of the Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Abuja, Nigeria, November 2011-2012
- Research Productivity Award (Senior Academic Category), University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria. 1 January 2011
- Most Enterprising Governing Council Award received during the 31st Annual Conference/AGM of NIFST, PortHarcourt. October 2010.
- National President, UNAAB Alumni Association. January 2010 to January 2016
- Honorary Fellow of the Federal Institute of Industrial Research Oshodi (FIIRO) by the Academic Staff Union of Research Institutions, Lagos, Nigeria. 10 December 2009.
- CGIAR Award Regional Technology Development in Sub Saharan Africa, http://www.cgiar.org/newsroom/scientific.html). 2 Dec 2008.
- Fellow, Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology (NIFST). 16 October 2008.