Jan S. H. Priebe
+44 (0)1634 88 3346
Jan has spent the last 4 years applying ICTs to agricultural development challenges at the Natural Resources Institute. Working with domain experts across the institute, his work has focussed on developing innovative systems to improve market transparency across value chains, to foster climate resilience in smallholder agricultural systems, and to gain new insights for monitoring and evaluation of development interventions. In delivering this work, he has worked at both the grassroots level - applying human centred design methodologies to co-create services – as well as engaging high-level stakeholders within ministries of agriculture, donors and technology providers. Recent work has focussed on data for development and how crowdsourcing may be used to fill the data gaps that still exist in most development contexts.
Value chain digitisation, crowdsourcing, e-extension, data for development applications, ICT-enabled business models, digital data collection, appropriate technology.
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation - Cassava: Added Value for Africa II (C:AVAII) Project
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation – African Postharvest Losses Information System Plus (APHLIS+)
- McKnight Foundation – Weather forecasts for climate resilience of sunflower farmers, Tanzania
- International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) - Improving Performance of Cassava Industries in West and Central Africa.
- Agrinatura EEG - Farm Risk Management for Africa.
- UKAID - Innovative Methods and Metrics for Agriculture and Nutrition Actions (IMMANA)
- Tanya Stathers, Kukom Edoh Ognakossan, Jan Priebe, Brighton M. Mvumi, Bruno M.D. Tran (2018) Counting losses to cut losses: quantifying postharvest losses to help achieve food security. Proceedings of the 12th International Working Conference on Stored Product Protection, 2018, Berlin, Germany (forthcoming)
- Andrea L Spray, Jan Priebe, Gwen Varley, Joweria Nambooze, Kate Wellard, Elaine Ferguson (2018) The feasibility and acceptability of information and communication technologies (ICTs) for collection of dietary intake and time use data. Proceedings of the Agriculture, Nutrition and Health (ANH) Academy Week, 2018, Accra, Ghana (forthcoming)
- Priebe, J., Tran, B. (2015) Mobile for Postharvest Management: Investigating the opportunity of low-cost communication technologies for professional warehouse management. Proceedings of the First International Conference on Postharvest Loss Prevention, 2015, Rome, Italy.
- Priebe, J., Bennett, B. (2015) A ‘Facebook’ for cassava processing equipment – digital marketing support for small-scale cassava equipment manufacturers in West and Central Africa. Proceedings of the World Congress of Roots and Tuber Crops, 2015, Nanning, China.
Senior Research Fellow, Digital Development
Sue Pritchard award for dissertation focusing on investment in developing countries, Imperial College London