Dr Kaysara Khatun
+44 (0)1634 88 3643
Dr Kaysara Khatun joined NRI in 2020. She has over 20 years’ experience in the private, NGO and academic sectors in Africa, Asia, Europe and Central/South America. Her professional experience is situated in the interdisciplinary areas of land use/ land use change, natural resource management/conflict and sustainable development. The above themes incorporate climate change adaptation and mitigation reflecting a keen interest in policy formation and implementation in international, national through to community levels. Kaysara’s work links insights from both the social and the natural sciences with a strong commitment to empirical research.
- Climate change mitigation and adaptation
- Environmental equity and justice
- Land based commodities
- Payments for Ecosystem Services (inc REDD+)
- Natural resource management/conflict
- Sustainable development across scales
- 2018-2020: Examining atmospheres of violence and the experience of environmental defenders around large-scale natural resource extraction & agricultural development- British Academy Grant. CoI (5%). Budget £300,000
- 2017-2019: Land Use and Resource Management at the Agricultural – Forest Frontier (LAMAR). Marie Curie Incoming Fellow: Funded by the European Commission, Horizon 2020. Budget €189,000
- 2015-2017: Plan Maestro Sistema Reserva Biológica Colonso – Chalupas - RBCC y Modelo de Gestión del Sistema del Conocimiento IKIAM. Funded by the Ecuadorian Government. Budget ($600,000)
- 2012-2014: Combining REDD, PFM and FSC certification in South- Eastern Tanzania. Funding Agency: Norwegian Development Agency (NORAD) & Comic Relief International. Total budget: US$5 million. UAB budget: US$135,930
- 2009-2011: Climate Change and Biodiversity Loss: The effects on Ecosystems services (CLIMBE). Funded by BBVA, Spain. Total Budget 200,000. BC3 Budget €100,000
- 2009-2010: K-egokitzen: Economic assessment of the impacts of sea level rise on the Basque coastline. Funded by The Environmental Management Public Corporation of the Department for the Environment, Spatial Planning, Agriculture and Fisheries of the Basque Government (IHOBE). Budget €100,000
- Khatun, K., Maguire- Rajpaul, V., Asante, E and McDermott, C (2020). Oil palm production as an equitable and sustainable livelihood option for smallholder farmers: A case study in Central Ghana. Frontiers: Land, Livelihoods and Food Security.
- Maguire- Rajpaul, V and Khatun, K (2020). Adaptive Capacity of Ghanaian Cocoa Farmers to Climate Change. Frontiers: Sustainable Food Systems.
- McDermott, CL., Acheampong, E., Arora-Jonsson, S., Asare, R., Castro, A., de Jong, W., Hirons, M., Khatun, K., Menton, M., Nunan, F., Poudyal, M and Setyowati, A (2019). Potential impacts of the sustainable development goals on forests and the goods and services they provide: A focus on SDG 16: Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions. International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO). Published by Cambridge University Press, Cambridge
- Salmoral, G., Khatun, K., Madrid-López, C., and Lieve, F (2018). Agricultural development in Ecuador: A compromise between water and food security? Journal of Cleaner production.
- Khatun, K (2018). Land Use Management in Galapagos: A preliminary study on reducing the impacts of invasive plant species through sustainable agriculture and Payment for Ecosystem Services. Land Degradation and Development.
- Sunderland, T., Abdoulaye, R., Ahammad, R., Asaha, S., Baudron,F., Deakin,E., Duriaux,JY., Eddy, I., Foli,S., Gumbo, D., Khatun, K., Kondwani, M., Kshatriya, M., Leonald, L., Rowland, D., Stacey, N., Tomscha, S., Yang, K., Gergel,S and van Vianen, J (2017). A Methodological Approach for Assessing Cross-Site Landscape Change: Understanding Socio-Ecological Systems. Forest Policy and Economics.
- Khatun, K and Salmoral, G. (2017) The wider environmental angle: Natural capital, ecosystem services, biodiversity - resolving complexity and resilience issue. Chapter 2 in the Handbook on the Resource Nexus edited by Raimund Bleischwitz. Published by Routledge, UK
- Khatun, K., Corbera, C and Ball, S (2016). Fire is REDD: Offsetting carbon through early burning activities in south-eastern Tanzania. Oryx.
- Khatun, K., Gross-Camp, N., Corbera, E., Martin, A, Ball, S and Masso, G (2015). When Participatory Forest Management makes money: insights from Tanzania on governance, benefit sharing, and implications for REDD+. Environment and Planning.
- Khatun, K and Ladd, B (2014). Cookstoves: a design popular in Peru. Nature.
- Khatun, K., Imbach, P and Zamora, J.C (2013). Climate change impacts and implications for conservation strategies in Central America using the Holdridge Life Zone (HLZ) land classification system. iForest - Biogeosciences and Forestry.
- Khatun, K (2013). Integrating national forestry initiatives in India with international climate change policy. Climate Policy.
- Hofmann, M and Khatun, K (2013). Facilitating the financing of bio-energy projects in Sub-Saharan Africa. Energy Policy.
- Khatun, K (2012). Reform or reversal: implications of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) on Land Use, Land Use Change and Forestry (LULUCF) in developing countries. Conservation Letters.
- Khatun, K (2011). Reconciling timber provision with carbon sequestration opportunities in the tropical forests of Central America, Environmental Science & Policy.
- Hofmann, M., Morris,G., Ballard-Tremeer, G and Khatun, K (2011). Bioenergy for sustainable development in Africa: Chapter 16- Financing of biofuel projects in Africa BOOK: Compete (EU project 6th framework), published by Springer. ISBN 978-94-0072180-7
- Galarraga, I., Oses, N., Markandya, A., Chiabai, A and Khatun, K (2011). Aportaciones desde la economía de la adaptación a la toma de decisiones sobre Cambio Climático: un ejemplo para la Comunidad Autónoma del País Vasco, Economía Agraria y Recursos Naturales (Special issue on the Economics of Adaptation).
- Khatun, K., Valdes, P.J., Knorr, W and Chaturvedi, R.K (2010). Assessing the mitigation potential of forestry activities in a changing climate: A case study for Karnataka. Forest Policy and Economics.
- Khatun., K, Valdes, PJ., Knorr, W and Alam, KM (2010). Exploring synergies between the Clean Development Mechanism and national forest policies in India to advance sustainable development for a post-2012 climate policy. Climate and Development.
Kaysara has presented in more than 30 conferences/events as a speaker and organised several conferences and committees. She has been invited to participate in several expert groups, panels and as an advisor by governments, academia and civil society. In addition, Kaysara has - on several occasions - been on an expert panel for the Horizon 2020 land use mitigation theme, to assess large grant projects (approx. €7m per project)
Kaysara is a reviewer of several high impact journals and an associate editor of the Frontiers Journal: Sustainable Food Systems; Land Livelihoods and Food Security (currently leading a special edition on the political ecology of crop intensification) as well as a member of the Asian Council of Scientific Editors (ACSE). Finally, she is a member of several committees including the NGO Not1more.org, which is an environmental campaign group that supports frontline environmental defenders and investigates the root causes of environmental conflict. Kaysara is also a technical panel member (since 2011) for the Global Conservation Standard (http://globalconservationstandard.org/) where she, along with a group of diverse international experts (including the United Nations, private sector and academia) - assess conservation and land use projects for implementation.