Dr Andrea Gatto
+44 (0)1634 88 3641
Dr. Andrea Gatto is Post-doctoral Research Fellow in Resource/Environmental/Marine Economics at the Natural Resources Institute (NRI), University of Greenwich. He works for the UKRI-funded Diverseafood project on integrated multi-trophic aquaculture, as part of sustainable and resilient food systems. The project is Scotland-based and partners SAMS, Manchester University, and New Castle University.
Andrea is also Lecturer and Course Leader at the New College of the Humanities at Northeastern University, where he teaches Economic Development, International Development, and Research Design and Data Collection. An economic and business consultant, Andrea is President of the CED – Center for Economic Development & Social Change and has been appointed Co-editor-in-chief of the Annals of International Development.
Andrea got publication records in international peer-reviewed journals, including Energy Policy, Journal of Environmental Management and Journal of International Development. He has conducted fieldwork and attended longer appointments in ten countries worldwide, including positions for the European Commission, California Polytechnic State University (CalPoly), and CREATES – Aarhus University. He is fluent in Italian, English, French, and Portuguese, and speaks some Spanish.
- PhD/European Doctorate in Economics, Statistics & Sustainability
- MA in Development Economics (II level, Postgraduate)
- European Master in EU Studies
- MSc in Economics (Summa Cum Laude – 110/110, lode, menzione, pubblicazione)
- BSc in Economics & Law
- Development Economics and Sustainability Studies
- Agriculture and Energy Policy and Regulation
- Composite Indicators
- Business Cycles Analysis and Law & Economics
- Vulnerability and Resilience
- Long-run Economic History and Archival Research
- Fieldwork and mixed methods
- International Development
- Economic Development
- Research Design and Data Collection
Project funded by the United Kingdom Research Innovation, focusing on integrated multitrophic aquaculture, as part of sustainable and resilient food systems. The project is based on fieldwork in Highlands, Scotland.
Leading institution: Scottish Association for Marine Sciences. Partner institutions: Natural Resources Institute, University of Greenwich; University of Manchester; University of New Castle.
- Gatto A, Drago C. A taxonomy of energy resilience. Energy Policy, 2019.
- Agovino M, Cerciello M, Gatto A. Policy Efficiency in the Field of Food Sustainability. The Adjusted Food Agriculture and Nutrition Index. Journal of Environmental Management, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2018.04.058.
- Busato F, Gatto A. Evidenze empiriche dalla volatilità dei prezzi elettrici durante la crisi energetica californiana. Cattura del regolatore nel caso Enron?. Moneta e Credito. 2019 Jan 1;72(285). DOI: https://doi.org/10.13133/2037-3651_72.285_3.
- Gatto A. Historical roots of microcredit and usury: The role of Monti di Pietà in Italy and in the Kingdom of Naples in XV-XX centuries. Journal of International Development, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1002/jid.3386.
- Drago C, Gatto A. A robust approach to composite indicators exploiting interval data: The Interval-valued Global Gender Gap Index (IGGGI). Advances in Gender and Culture Studies in Business and Economics. 4th IPAZIA Workshop on Gender Issues, 2018, Rome, Italy, Springer Nature. Peer-review presented at Ipazia 2018 Conference. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-00335-7_7.
- Sadik-Zada, R. E., Gatto A. Determinants of the Public Debt and the Role of Natural Resources: A Cross-Country Analysis. (March 08, 2019). Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei Working Papers, Berkeley Press. Paper 1263. https://services.bepress.com/feem/paper1263/?utm_source=services.bepress.com%2Ffeem%2Fpaper1263&utm_medium=PDF&utm_campaign=PDFCoverPages.
- Gatto A, Busato F. Defining, measuring and ranking energy vulnerability. CREATES Research Papers, Aarhus University; 2019-01. https://pure.au.dk/portal/files/142678837/rp19_01.pdf.
- Editorial boards membership includes:
Appointed Co-editor-in-chief, Annals of International Development (AID), PKP/OJS.
- Invited referee for international journals, including:
World Development; Ecological Indicators; Journal of Cleaner Production (Elsevier). Mineral Economics; Environment, Development and Sustainability (Springer). European Journal of Development Research (Palgrave); Journal of Institutional Economics; Political Analysis (Cambridge University Press). Public Management Review; Agrekon; Post-Communist Economies (Taylor & Francis). Sustainability; International Journal of Financial Studies; Economies; Societies (MDPI). Journal of Sustainability Research (Hapres).
Mediolanum Bank Award for the best research paper in monetary policy.