Dr Micael de Andrade Lima
As a lecturer of Food innovation at NRI, Micael teaches across different modules in the Food Innovation and Applied Food Safety and Quality Management PG programmes. He also responsible for the supervision of PG students in their projects and thesis writing process.
Micael has previously worked at Aberystwyth University for 2 years as a lecturer of Food Science in the Distance Learning and the Bioinnovation Wales programmes of the Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences (IBERS). Running modules in joint partnership with Swansea University, he was also responsible for outlining, creating and validating new modules, as well as coordinating, tutoring, moderating and marking in ongoing modules.
Research-wise, Micael’s background is on the production, extraction and purification (downstream processing) of valuable phytochemical compounds via novel and green technologies. These include Supercritical Fluid Extraction, Liquid-phase Adsorption, and Preparative Chromatography via Ion Exchange and Hydrophobic Interaction, etc. As a post-doctoral researcher at the Federal University of Ceara (Brazil), Micael’s project looked into the purification of R-phycoerythrin, a valuable fluorescent protein that can be used, among other applications, as a biomarker in cancer diagnosis. In his PhD, under the supervision of Dr Dimitris Charalampopoulos and Dr Afroditi Chatzifragkou, his work involved the development of a novel protocol for the sequential extraction and purification of phenolics and carotenoids from different vegetable wastes via the green technologies mentioned above. During that time, he also worked as a Teaching Assistant in four UG-level courses and was invited to deliver a module in Downstream Processing at the Henan Agricultural University (China).
Micael has always strongly identified with novel and relevant processes, whose underpinning agenda focused on environmental sustainability, and whose impact could be directly translated into societal benefits.
His main research interests are:
- The simultaneous extraction and purification of bioactives from waste or low-value materials by high-pressure technologies and preparative chromatographic techniques, which would greatly improve the productivity of such processes compared to when they are carried out individually;
- The further purification and isolation of these compounds by innovative techniques.
His broader research expertise to date includes process development and optimisation, biotechnological processes for the food, chemical and nutraceutical industries, data modelling and solutions for waste valorisation. Specific expertise encompasses Supercritical Fluid Extraction, adsorption, preparative chromatography, and design of experiments. Other minor/older expertise involve fermentation processes, water and effluent quality control, and microbiological and physicochemical analyses of food.
- MSc in Food Innovation;
- MSc in Food Innovation with Industrial Placement;
- MSc in Applied Food Safety and Quality Management.
- FOOD1023 – Food Preservation
- FOOD1053 – Documentation and Review for Quality Assurance
- FOOD1036 - Marketing, Innovation and Management
- AGRI1140 - Risk Analysis for Agriculture and the Environment
- CHEM1029 – Food Chemistry and Biochemistry
- de Andrade-Lima, M., Andreou, R., Charalampopoulos, D., Chatzifragkou, A. (2021) Supercritical Carbon Dioxide Extraction of Phenolic Compounds from Potato (Solanum tuberosum) Peels. Applied Sciences, 11(8), pp. 3410.
- Harith, Z.T., de Andrade-Lima, M., Andreou, R., Charalampopoulos, D., Chatzifragkou, A. (2020) Optimised Production and Extraction of Astaxanthinfrom the Yeast Xanthophyllomyces dendrorhous. Microorganisms, 8 (3), pp. 430.
- da Silveira, T. F. F., de Andrade-Lima, M., Meinhart, A. D., Kuhnle, G., Godoy, H. T. (2020) Effect of Solvent Composition on the Extraction of Phenolic Compounds and Antioxidant Capacity of Bacaba Juice (Oenocarpus bacaba Mart.). Food Analytical Methods, 13 (5), pp. 1119-1128.
- de Sousa, P. L. R., Tavares, P. A. S., Teixeira, E. M. T. S., Dias, N. A., de Andrade-Lima, M., Luna, F. M. T., Gondim, D. R., de Azevedo, D. C. S., Silva Junior, I. J. (2019) Experimental designs for optimizing the purification of immunoglobulin G by mixed-mode chromatography. Journal of Chromatography B, 1125, pp. 121719.
- de Andrade-Lima, M., Charalampopoulos, D., Chatzifragkou, A. (2019) Supercritical Fluid Extraction of Carotenoids from Vegetable Waste Matrices. Molecules, 24(3), pp. 466.
- de Andrade-Lima, M., Charalampopoulos, D., Chatzifragkou, A. (2018) Purification of supercritical-fluid carotenoid-rich extracts by hydrophobic interaction chromatography. Separation and Purification Technology, 203, pp. 1-10.
- de Andrade-Lima, M., Charalampopoulos, D., Chatzifragkou, A. (2018) Optimisation and modelling of supercritical a CO2 extraction process of carotenoids from carrot peels. The Journal of Supercritical Fluids, 133, pp. 94-102.
- de Andrade-Lima, M., de Freitas, M. F. M., Gonçalves, L. R. B., Silva-Junior, I. J. (2016) Recovery and purification of a Kluyveromyces lactis β -galactosidase by Mixed Mode Chromatography. Journal of Chromatography B, 1015, pp. 181-191.
- Pereira, A. L. F., Almeida, F. D. L., de Andrade-Lima, M., da Costa, J. M. C., Rodrigues, S. (2014) Spray-Drying of Probiotic Cashew Apple Juice. Food and Bioprocess Technology, 7(9), pp. 2492-2499.